Over the past few years, a lot of people have made the change and switched to a vegetarian lifestyle!
It is an increasing popular lifestyle, with teenagers making up the highest proportion of those who have switched.
As it’s World Vegetarian Day, and if you are thinking of making the change, here are 10 reasons why you should!
- Studies show that a plant-based diet can actually increase the body’s metabolism. This causes the body to burn calories up to 16% faster, than it would if it was also on a meat based diet.
- It is argued that humans are actually naturally herbivores, for example our molars are similar to those of a herbivore in shape and structure.
- Several researchers advise that a vegetarian based diet, can feed more people than a meat based diet. An example of this, is approx 20,000 potatoes can grow on one acre of land. Compared to, only around 165 lbs of beef can be produced on the same amount of land.
- Approx 25 gallons of water is used to produce 1 lb of wheat. Whereas, at least 2,500 gallons of water is used to produce 1 lb of meat. It is said that becoming vegetarian reduces the strain on the environment.
- The lifestyle of vegetarianism begun in ancient India. Currently, 70% of the world’s vegetarians are Indian. And there are more vegetarians in India, than any other country around the world.
- Vegetarians only have slightly lower protein, than those of meat eaters. It is wildly spread that if you are vegetarian you have low protein, but the difference is actually not as big as you may think!
- Many people become vegetarians to avoid animal cruelty, they do not believe animals are killed in the most humane way, especially if they cannot be stunned properly before death.
- Plants yield 10 times more protein per acre than meat.
- Ironically, the original actor who played Ronald McDonald for McDonald’s takeaway, is now a vegetarian!
- Poultry are not included in the Humane Slaughter Act, meaning it is not required to stun these animals before slaughter.